Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

building a prototype

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sally Hopkins

Sally Hopkins

building a prototype Empty
PostSubject: building a prototype   building a prototype EmptyThu May 07, 2009 11:18 am

Hello,
My question is regarding building a prototype. How important is the detail? Also does the material used, and the skill level of the builder effect the manufacturing process?
Thank you for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
StephenBozzone

StephenBozzone

building a prototype Empty
PostSubject: Re: building a prototype   building a prototype EmptyMon May 25, 2009 12:25 pm

"How important is the detail?" The more the better but you need to start somewhere.

James Dyson, the vacuum cleaner guy, started with cardboard and duct tape.

"Also does the material used, and the skill level of the builder effect the manufacturing process?

Prototyping is an iterative process. You learn and refine along the way. I like to prove out the concept with chipboard, the thin cardboard on the back of a note pad.

Then I may move to more rigid materials like plastic or wood. It depends on your skill level and tools.

Then I may decide to use an SLA or 3-D printed model. Small parts start around $150 so I like to be sure that the design is solid before I pay for this.

After the rapid prototype, you may decide to get a prototype tool made. For an injection mold, figure $2,000 and up. The good thing is if the design is solid, you cam make up to 50,000 parts. The downside is that the cost per part will be higher because the proto tool is not set up for high volume production.

The part can look just like and perform as well as a production part.
Also does the material used, and the skill level of the builder effect the manufacturing process?
Back to top Go down

building a prototype
Page 1 of 1