Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Direct Response Pricing and Markup

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcZev

MarcZev

Direct Response Pricing and Markup Empty
PostSubject: Direct Response Pricing and Markup   Direct Response Pricing and Markup EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 pm

I am preparing for meetings with possible investors. Some of which will be infomercial types. While I have experience in the more traditional retail world. I don't know what to expect from the direct response folks when it comes to pricing and markup.

Traditionally, the negotiations starts at an assumed markup of 400% from the manufacturing cost. Where does negotiation start with DR people?
Back to top Go down
Kim Babjak

Kim Babjak

PostSubject: Re: Direct Response Pricing and Markup   Direct Response Pricing and Markup EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Congrats on your potential opportunity!

DRTV can be approached in two ways:

1) A DRTV company buys a product at a wholesale price from you. DRTV typically needs 5-6 times mark up. Usually a cost of $.50 to $1.75 to achieve a $14.95 - $19.95 retail. In this situation, you will need to ensure you can supply approx 1,000,000,000 units a month! YES, you heard right. affraid

2) A DRTV company takes on the item under a licensing deal, they manufacture and distribute into retail, and the inventor collects a negotiated royalty (typically between 3-5%) of the retail price point.

Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK!
Back to top Go down
MarcZev

MarcZev

PostSubject: Re: Direct Response Pricing and Markup   Direct Response Pricing and Markup EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Kim:

Thank you for your response.

If I understand it correctly, you are saying that the two ways DRTV does business is either they buy gazillions of units per month at the wholesale price, or they license the product and pay a royalty.

I assume that to get the 5-6 times markup the DRTV wants they will want to push down the wholesale cost as far down as they can. On the other hand if they license the product then I would benefit from the large markup.

Is it correct to assume that the DRTV likes the first option best?
Back to top Go down
Kim Babjak

Kim Babjak

PostSubject: Re: Direct Response Pricing and Markup   Direct Response Pricing and Markup EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Of course DRTV wants the option were they control everything. This way they ensure they can produce enough, and can distribute to enough retailers to make it worth the venture....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Direct Response Pricing and Markup   Direct Response Pricing and Markup Empty

Back to top Go down

Direct Response Pricing and Markup
Page 1 of 1