Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

What is Market Viability

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
former mentor

What is Market Viability Empty
PostSubject: What is Market Viability   What is Market Viability EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 pm

The question of "Market Viability" comes up from time to time in the inventing industry - however not as much as it should. In fact, it's one of the first questions that should ever be asked by an inventor simply because if you can't determine market viability of a product your invention is nothing but a cocktail party conversation. It will never go anywhere in terms of distribution or sales, and it will never make you any money, not real money anyway....so why bother?

What is “Market Viability” anyway? Simply put, it’s really three things rolled into one. So we’ll start by explaining the things that make up this concept.

-Acceptance viability - The acceptance of your product by the consumer (the market) that is, your product solves a problem, fills a need, creates a fad, or in some way is embraced by the consumer in such a fashion that they will trade you their hard earned money in exchange for having it. Your product, in short, brings value to the consumer’s life.

-Production viability – It can be manufactured using materials and methods that result in the product doing what you claimed it can do in a way that provides quality of the physical product itself. It’s not going to fall apart after a few uses and it’s not going to cost a ton of money because of how it’s made and what it’s made with.

-Fiscal Viability – The math adds up. The product can be manufactured, shipped, displayed, fulfilled, discounted, sold, and royalties paid all for a cost reasonable to the consumer. Now, keep in mind as a rule of thumb, you will be accomplishing all this for about ½ the retail price the consumer would pay. Example= If the item would sell for $10.00 in a store, you have to get that entire math problem done for about $5.00. In some cases as low as about $3.00 per unit…

I’ve been doing this a long time, and trust me, you only reach market viability about 35% of the time, no matter how “great” the idea. So be honest with yourself when you run your idea through this mill, and don’t feel bad if it doesn’t meet the bar – it happens most of the time....even to the professionals.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
shapeform

shapeform

PostSubject: re market viability   What is Market Viability EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Once those three parts have been addressed and you believe you have a viable product or line of products...is it important or even possible to project what your market share might be within your product catagory?
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: What is Market Viability   What is Market Viability EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 3:50 am

""I’ve been doing this a long time, and trust me, you only reach market viability about 35% of the time, no matter how “great” the idea. So be honest with yourself when you run your idea through this mill, and don’t feel bad if it doesn’t meet the bar – it happens most of the time....even to the professionals.""

Thanks for a good posting & indication of what needs to be looked at.
By a 65% "failure rate" do you mean that 65% fail to meet one or more of the 3 criteria. Or that, even after they pass the 3 criteria areas & look "great"
even then, approx 2/3rds still don't make it to market?

Mike
Back to top Go down
former mentor

PostSubject: Re: What is Market Viability   What is Market Viability EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 pm

65% of the products that start that process will fail at some point within it. Only about 35% of the products that professional product developers do make it to the market. So I'm sure the rate for novice inventors is far worse.

Shapeform- see https://theinventorsmentors.rpg-board.net/market-share-how-do-i-figure-that-out-f50/do-i-really-care-about-market-share-t396.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Market Viability   What is Market Viability Empty

Back to top Go down

What is Market Viability
Page 1 of 1