Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Inventing a Retail Product Step #4

Go down 
AuthorMessage
former mentor

Inventing a Retail Product Step #4 Empty
PostSubject: Inventing a Retail Product Step #4   Inventing a Retail Product Step #4 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 pm

In Step one, “Understanding”, Step two, “Inventing to Eventuality” and Step three, “Research” We’ built a launch pad if you will for the development of ANY product. I say “any” because they are common concepts and tasks used for every invention you hope to morph into a retail product.

Now….Let’s go shopping!

We’re going to the stores to get inspired. You see, at this point we don’t even know what we’re inventing. However, because inventing to a hole in the market is very important to the retail viability of a product (products solve problems) we want to look at what’s NOT on the shelves, and then answer the question “Why” .

We do that by using the stores to inspire us, to find that next great idea, It’s there I assure you….We just need to go find it.

I’m in aisle 12 at my local retailer. I’m slowly roaming down the aisle and I see something that catches my eye. It’s the automotive accessory aisle, and I see everything, little lights, key chains, wheel covers, even fuzzy dice……all this stuff to make the time you spend in your car just a little more enjoyable. I spend a lot of time in my car, so I can relate. I survey the products, mostly smaller, mostly packaged the same, and most priced between about $1.50 and $3.50 in retail price.

What’s missing? This is a large grouping of stuff, yet I can’t help feel they missed something. Then I start to think about the things I use in my car the most, CD holder, Cell phone charger, those types of things. Then it hits me…there’s no bags. No trash bags….hmmmm….. or just bags, would I really use a trash bag ?...no, but just the other day I was looking for a bag of some sort to put some things in while in my car because I needed to carry them all at once - I sure could have used a bag.

What if there was a bag, like a little plastic shopping bag, something you could throw away when you were done? Maybe a pack of bags?, or a roll, or something.

And there it is.. (or isn’t) a roll of disposable plastic shopping bags in a small disposable case of some type that can be stored in the glove box -it's a product, it solves a problem, it can go in your car.....

So while we’re still here in aisle 12 – lets mentally run through the check list to make sure the planets will line up for us correctly…..
Back to top Go down

Inventing a Retail Product Step #4
Page 1 of 1