Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Inventing a Retail Product Step #3

Go down 
AuthorMessage
former mentor

Inventing a Retail Product Step #3 Empty
PostSubject: Inventing a Retail Product Step #3   Inventing a Retail Product Step #3 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:34 pm

Step one, “Understanding” and Step two, “Inventing to Eventuality” are largely conceptual in that they set the inventor mind in the right frame as to influence the rest of the process -Where Step #3 really starts the actual inventing process on its way.

Step #3 - Research, research, research….. And then, a little more research!

I can’t tell you how many inventors come to me and ask questions that could have been answered with the most basic Google search. Research is one of the most important parts of the inventing process, and taking the time to know what research to do, and the best way to go about doing it is critical to a successful invention.

Research in the inventing industry comes in many forms. However, since I don’t want my boss catching me blogging again (I’m kidding) we’ll break it down into its basic parts and then dig deeper into each over time.

Intellectual Property (IP) Research: Think of it this way. If it originated in your mind, then transferred down your arms to your hands and out to some external form it’s Intellectual Property. Some IP is protected automatically via the Berne Convention and the Copyright act of 1976. However, Patents and trademarks are not protected under any automatic mechanism and as such have to be applied for. Research in IP is all about who may have already applied for these protections and what that means to your invention.

Like Products Research: You have a great idea, but is it already out there? Did someone make and market a version of that idea long before you had your eureka moment?. Maybe….

Market Comparables Research: No product like yours? That’s great, but how does your invention fit into the category you have targeted? Research will paint a very nice picture of competing products and give you great insight into the bar you will have to design to in order to be successful.

Manufacturing Research: You simply must know how things are made if you expect to make them yourself. Research into materials, manufacturing methods, packaging options, and processes are vital.

Distribution Research: It’s invented, it’s manufactured, and now it’s in a box waiting to be sent to a retailer. But what retailer, and how is it sent, and who do I call, and when, and why, and where????? All research…..

Did I mention RESEARCH?

As you can see, there is a lot to learn in this business long before you ever bend a wire, or sew a stitch. You have to train your mind, and you have to educate yourself.
Back to top Go down

Inventing a Retail Product Step #3
Page 1 of 1