Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Inventing a Retail Product Step #2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
former mentor

Inventing a Retail Product Step #2 Empty
PostSubject: Inventing a Retail Product Step #2   Inventing a Retail Product Step #2 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 pm

In step #1 We talked about “Understanding” the overall picture of inventing as the first step. But what is step #2?

I think it’s being able to craft an invention to its "eventuality".

For example, a few years back I invented a process for creating 3D appliqués on vehicles. It’s a simple vacuum formed part mounted on the vehicle in such a way that it can be removed without ever knowing it was there. No small challenge to keep that 3D piece of plastic on at 100 miles an hour, and still remove it when you came to a stop. In fact it took me several years of “tinkering” to crack the code on how it could be done.

My point is, I knew I wanted to invent that product/process, but in order to invent it correctly I had to first understand how my invention would be used by the people I was inventing it for. In this case the advertising industry.

It took months of research, but I dug up everything I could about the products they were currently using, how they were using those products, and what they really wanted to be using. That research helped me understand the hole my invention would eventually fill. Knowing the size and shape of the hole helped me craft my invention to its eventuality. I always have to smile when people in that industry see it for the first time and say “That’s exactly what we needed” - like it was some grand stroke of luck J

Step #2 …..Invent to an Eventuality
Back to top Go down

Inventing a Retail Product Step #2
Page 1 of 1